Re: Independent optimizing compilation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 83 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 83 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> My requirement for separate compilation may be more stringent than
> yours, but if you need to compile modules separately with no order
> dependencies, and one module can import both procedures and macros
> from other modules, I think that there is, really, exactly one way
> to solve the linking problem.  And that way changes the rules of
> evaluation so completely that the resulting dialect, unless
> artificially restricted, is no longer scheme.

I don't know what exactly you're thinking of, but there's certainly
ongoing research on independent compilation in the presence of
"exported macros," and the resulting systems look very much like
Scheme.  However, the issues connected to "linking" go beyond that.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike