Re: Independent optimizing compilation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 83 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 83 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Taylor Campbell <campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>    Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:51:14 +0100
>    From: Michael Sperber <sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>    Taylor Campbell <campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>    > It does, though, make it difficult to extend in the current syntax
>    > in a way that bear wants.  Grovelling through the source to
>    > libraries is not an option, but currently the EXPORT syntax is
>    > embedded in the library bodies.
>
>    But in a way that's trivial to extract.
>
> Trivial in the sense that it's placed at the head of a library's body,
> but to extract that you would have to open the file the library is
> defined in, read the whole library form, and then quickly scan the
> head of the form form for the EXPORT form.  This is probably not
> satisfactory for bear's scenario, where there might be thousands or
> hundreds of thousands of modules, and reading every library's body for
> every time it is used in another library is simply not an option.  The
> only way I can think of to get around this would be to kludge together
> a provisional reader to extract the EXPORT form and nothing else, but
> this is a poor, inflexible workaround for a problem that needn't be
> necessary in the first place.

You guys aren't digging what this SRFI is, I think: It's a
*distribution format*.  The idea is that you send this stuff to your
friends or download it from somewhere, and then let your Scheme
implementation slurp it into its package library or whatever, possibly
(and probably) translating it into a format more suitable for its
internal processing.  As part of this step, you can extract the
exports and store them in some fancy index or whatever.  Possibly,
this isn't explained very well, and we need your help clearing up
misunderstandings.

I don't expect PLT Scheme or Chez or Scheme 48 to change their module
systems much or to stop developing new ones as a result of this
SRFI---rather I expect that their authors will implement "translators"
from and to the distribution format specified here.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike