Re: Encodings.

At Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:15:54 -0500, Paul Schlie wrote:
> (although I suspect that it may be found necessary to
> base read-char, read-string, etc. on a flexibly defined "local" encoding
> definition, rather than assuming all text/data is encoded any particular
> way, on any particular platform.)

Our experience with the crlf issues on windows vs mac vs unix suggests
the opposite. The desire to be able to distribute a single set of
sources that runs on all those platforms means that we currently read
all files in binary (by default). Whether this translates to unicode
issues isn't entirely clear, but we're starting with a single default
encoding, rather than looking for local encodings.

Robby