Re: Encodings.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 52 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 52 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Hi Robby,

- as I've personally been using OSX for the past few years, I have to admit
I forget what peculiarities may have existed under OS9 previously, but as
Mac's have historically been the underdog, their text editors have had to
become sensitive to various other platform end-of-line encoding, and adopt
to it locally. (regardless of UNIX, DOS, or Mac initial encoding).

- do agree that all files should be opened in binary mode, but do suspect
that it would be nice to adhere to local conventions, and be sensitive to
foreign ones; although if one had to pick the most the neutral one, would
guess it to be UNIX, as you've chosen.

- with respect to utf8, although I wouldn't expect any problems with respect
to the use of Scheme's defined character-set; would guess that most programs
will continue to interpret non-ASCII encoded character bytes based on their
native character-set by default, which aren't presently likely Unicode based
(but only relevant to those who expect something otherwise).

Thanks, -paul-