Re: Encodings.

Hi Robby,

- as I've personally been using OSX for the past few years, I have to admit
I forget what peculiarities may have existed under OS9 previously, but as
Mac's have historically been the underdog, their text editors have had to
become sensitive to various other platform end-of-line encoding, and adopt
to it locally. (regardless of UNIX, DOS, or Mac initial encoding).

- do agree that all files should be opened in binary mode, but do suspect
that it would be nice to adhere to local conventions, and be sensitive to
foreign ones; although if one had to pick the most the neutral one, would
guess it to be UNIX, as you've chosen.

- with respect to utf8, although I wouldn't expect any problems with respect
to the use of Scheme's defined character-set; would guess that most programs
will continue to interpret non-ASCII encoded character bytes based on their
native character-set by default, which aren't presently likely Unicode based
(but only relevant to those who expect something otherwise).

Thanks, -paul-