Re: char-whitespace?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 52 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 52 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

(continued) as opposed tab, which is commonly presumed to be advance to
the next natural vertical character position representing at least one
equivalent space, as defined by either the application and or platform
default.

(over all, it's interesting that possibly in lieu of worrying about any
specific character-sets, it may be more productive to define the presumed
display semantics of a more abstract language/platform dependant
character-set, which may express itself differently based on the target
language and platform conventions of the text it composes, rather than
trying to worry about how to deal with N potentially different
representations of a particular character may exist in different language
texts; for example although Chinese is displayed vertically, tab for example
is always presumed to have the same relative semantics, or if the letter z
is typically displayed differently in Slavic languages, it is presumed to do
so based on whatever that languages conventions are (although I confess to
not being familiar with it's implied complexities, it feels more productive
than placing the responsibility for the idiosyncrasies of an arbitrary
language/platform on the programmer).

-paul-