Re: Encodings.

Just read his post. Works for me, and with a little luck and possibly a
few tweaks if/as discovered through use to be nice/required, it could win
broader acceptance. (although I suspect that it may be found necessary to
base read-char, read-string, etc. on a flexibly defined "local" encoding
definition, rather than assuming all text/data is encoded any particular
way, on any particular platform.)

then multiple <encoding> procedures may be defined as desired/required,
which could default to "local" definitions if not explicitly specified.

thereby enabling any arbitrary sequence of encoded bytes read/written
from/to a port to be converted to/from a generic internal scheme value
type, using whatever external encoded representations may be required.

Thanks again, -paul-