Re: upcoming revision, need feedback

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Derick Eddington wrote:
> The social solution has the problem that people would be guessing what
> characters they shouldn't use, leading back to the current situation of
> trying to get everyone to be consistent.  Unfortunately, we can't remove
> the OS restrictions which make the additional feature of encoding
> necessary.

We can with a slightly different design. Instead of specifying the
mapping from a library name to a filename, you can specify the reverse
mapping, and then let e.g. a tool to generate the catalog with the
direct one. In this design you'll be permitted to escape any character
at your discretion, and your libraries will still be found.

This is basically how SLIB manages packages.

This will also allow libraries with names "aux", "con", "nul" and "prn"
to exists (as e.g. %61ux.scm or pr%6E.scm); in the current design they
can't because it's impossible to create aux.scm in Windows.

But don't get me wrong, I'm only listing a possibility, not advocating
the design.