Re: reading NaNs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> I would hope that anyone reviewing IEEE-754 features for Scheme is
> already familiar with the revision and its current status. It'd be silly
> to adopt a 20-year-old standard just a few months before a major
> revision. Then again, it might be silly to wait on the new draft, given
> its troubles. Either way, arguments should at least take it into
> account.

I would not say that I'm "familiar" with it, but I have heard
noises about it.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/754/revision.html

is a good resource.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754r

Is another one.

They intend to standardize new floating point formats including
3 sizes of decimal and new 128-bit binary floats, be more
specific about exceptions and handlers for those exceptions,
combine it with IEEE 874 (radix-independent floating point
handling) and otherwise *reduce* the number of choices open
to implementers.  There are various other goals but I think
those are the major ones.

Oh, one other thing in here that I applaud; they're standardizing a
hardware operation they call "fused multiply-add" which is key to
bigfloat support, and including an annex on working with arbitrary-
sized float formats.

				Bear