Re: reading NaNs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Aubrey Jaffer <agj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>  | I disagree. IEEE-754 specifies the language-independent interface,
>  | as seem from the point of view of the programmer.
>
> According to IEEE-754:
>
>   user.  Any person, hardware, or program not itself specified by this
>   standard, having access to and controlling those operations of the
>   programming environment specified in this standard.
>
> A Scheme implementation is a program; thus it qualifies as a user.
> IEEE-754 does not constrain its behavior.

It's a user from the point of the hardware which provides IEEE,
but it's an implementation from the point of the programmer.

The programmer is a user of IEEE exposed by Scheme, and expects
that the Scheme implementation will provide an IEEE-conformant
environment. If it doesn't, it's less useful.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak@xxxxxxxxxx