Re: how useful are collecting lists?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 110 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 110 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

David Vanderson:
> My plan was to replace "<* begin" with ". <*" in the example, so this:
>
> define-library
>    example grid
>    export make rows cols ref each rename(put! set!)
>    import scheme(base)
>    <* begin
> ;stuff
> *>
>
> becomes (in a scheme with implicit begin):
> define-library
>    example grid
>    export make rows cols ref each rename(put! set!)
>    import scheme(base)
>    . <*
> ;stuff
> *>
>
> Does this run against your current "head" rule?

It does, but even if I modified head I would not expect it
to do what you want. A ". x" by itself returns just "x" in other cases,
so for consistency, adding a rule about "." in head would
still create an additional (...).

But that's okay, because I think what you want is:
define-library
!  example grid
!  export make rows cols ref each rename(put! set!)
!  import scheme(base)
!  .
! <*
! ;stuff
*>

Or, just:
define-library . <*
example grid
export make rows cols ref each rename(put! set!)
import scheme(base)
;stuff
*>

If constructs like this are common:
!  .
! <*
*>

Then we could argue that "\\" after "." is reasonable, e.g.:
*>

However, I do worry that the sequence ". \\ <*" completely fails
the "it's obvious what it means" test.

> Definitely working out well for me so far.  I'm only sorry that I didn't
> hear about it earlier - my first notice came from your post to the
> Racket dev list a week or so ago.

No problem!  I'm really glad you've joined us!

--- David A. Wheeler