Re: how useful are collecting lists?

On 03/13/2013 07:22 PM, David A. Wheeler wrote:
It does, but even if I modified head I would not expect it
to do what you want. A ". x" by itself returns just "x" in other cases,
so for consistency, adding a rule about "." in head would
still create an additional (...).
Ah right - I see.

But that's okay, because I think what you want is:
define-library
!  example grid
!  export make rows cols ref each rename(put! set!)
!  import scheme(base)
!  .
! <*
! ;stuff
*>
I don't think I'd have thought of this, but it's good to know it's possible.

Or, just:
define-library . <*
example grid
export make rows cols ref each rename(put! set!)
import scheme(base)
;stuff
*>
This makes the most sense to me, I'll put it in the draft revision I'm writing.

If constructs like this are common:
!  .
! <*
*>

Then we could argue that "\\" after "." is reasonable, e.g.:
*>

However, I do worry that the sequence ". \\ <*" completely fails
the "it's obvious what it means" test.
Yes I agree, and given the stuff above I don't think we need it.

Thanks,
Dave