Re: A proposal for reserved read-syntax characters

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

"John.Cowan" <jcowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Jorgen Schaefer scripsit:
>
>> That Scheme does not allow read syntax modification is, in my
>> opinion, a good thing.
>
> Distinguo.  Scheme does not *forbid* read syntax modification; it merely
> provides no standard way to specify it.

Scheme, as specified in R5RS, does not allow read syntax
modification. If you do it, it's not R5RS Scheme anymore.

>> - and that only includes the curly
>> braces after the syntax modification of this SRFI/R6RS.
>
> Section 7.1.1 of R5RS specifically says:
>
> 	The following five characters are reserved for future extensions
> 	to the language: [ ] { } |

Yes, [ and ] will be equivalent to parens in R6RS, and | is used
for literal symbols. The curly braces remain.

>> Your list also includes quite a few characters which I
>> definitively would like to allow in identifiers, if we allow
>> Unicode characters at all[1] (These include the reversed question
>> mark, among others).
>
> I wouldn't be averse to removing a few characters ad hoc on the grounds
> that they have close ASCII relatives that we already allow in identifiers.

I have a short list of 186 characters I would like to remove from
your proposal, do you want me to post it? :-)

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "forcer@xxxxxxxxx") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))