Re: A proposal for reserved read-syntax characters

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, bear wrote:

>If we want to reserve a bunch of characters for reader
>macros in implementations where reader macros are definable,
>I'd suggest the class SO (other symbols, including dingbats);
>they're eyecatching, occasionally iconic, and for the most
>part linguistically neutral.

On closer inspection, this turns out to be a bad idea;
SO is not, after all, linguistically neutral; the category
is used for what appears to be some fairly fundamental
stuff in the CJK and Kangxi sections and looks like it
might be an impediment to writers of those languages
if not permitted in identifiers.  Maybe we should just
consider the dingbats themselves.

				Bear