Re: case mappings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

At Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:57:53 +0900, Alex Shinn wrote:
> This isn't just a "locale-awareness" problem.  True, the mappings in
> UnicodeData.txt are for simplicity only the 1-1 mappings, but
> SpecialCasing.txt includes a large number of mappings that aren't 1-1
> regardless of locale.  The Unicode concept of locale-independent
> case-mapping includes these special cases.  Without handling these
> cases, R6RS would be using an incomplete case mapping rule,
> which is therefore not usable in the general sense.

I appreciate this line of reasoning, and I'm now convinced that SRFI-75
(and R6RS) should include locale-independent procedures

  string-upcase
  string-downcase
  string-titlecase

that use the locale-independent part of SpecialCasing.txt. I'll add
that to the SRFI, pending further discussion.

Although I agree that the 1-1 mapping is of limited use, my impression
and experience is that it's still useful (if, for nothing else,
interfacing to older code that uses a 1-1 mapping). So, pending further
discussion, I will leave the character-casing operations in place.

As for locales, after some discussion among the editors, we decided
that this SRFI will not contain any locale-specific operations. Other
SRFIs/libraries will have to tackle that problem.

Matthew