Re: Why are byte ports "ports" as such?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 91 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 91 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Thomas Bushnell BSG scripsit:

> We *do* have something we can call characters: characters.  You might
> find them useless, but their semantics are quite clear.

If they are so clear, please explain them.

> No.  I'm proposing that *characters* be the
> already-well-understood-concept of "character", which is not glyph,
> and is not code point.

What is it, then?  I'm not trying to be dense here; I really don't
understand what you have in mind.

--
John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan@ccil.org
SAXParserFactory [is] a hideous, evil monstrosity of a class that should