Re: gratuitous optimization and benchmarking

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 86 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 86 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 * From: "Taylor R. Campbell" <campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
 * Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:46:39 +0000
 * Subj: Re: gratuitous optimization and benchmarking

   Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:56:36 +0900
   From: "soo" <init@xxxxxxxxxxx>

   I'd like to know whether it was intentional that you performed
   the test with such an old version instead of new one.

 | I chose 0.57 because I knew that its compiler recognized CWV with
 | lambda operands, while 1.3's compiler did not (a fact which slipped my
 | mind when I first tried to explain the disparity between your results
 | and mine).  I expect that code to recognize this will be reintroduced
 | later on anyway.  I wanted to compare the performance in systems that
 | took the small effort to make multiple return values perform well, not
 | in systems where multiple return values are like your MU anyway but
 | with extra overhead.

Although I understand that it is possible to momentarily forget things, it is
quite discomforting to come to these realizations now.  I still have a
difficult time understanding how such an important detail could be overlooked.

--
Joo ChurlSoo