Re: Common Lisp solved this problem 20 years ago

Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
Common Lisp HyperSpec (TM)
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/hyperspec/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html
does not index any with-<type> symbols.  How is this attributable to
CommonLisp?

Also, would with-fixnum declare uniform arrays and vectors?

with-<type> were a toy examples. Sorry for the confusion. If I remember, correctly, real Common Lisp would look like:

  (lambda (x y)
    (declare (type double-float x y))
    (/ x y)))

I'm not wedded to any particular syntax, though.

Yes, Common Lisp type specifiers can specify the element types of an vector. See the first example in section 4.2.3 of the HyperSpec:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/hyperspec/HyperSpec/Body/sec_4-2-3.html

Regards,

Alan
--