Re: reading NaNs

Alan Watson wrote:

However, I still think we need a read syntax. Suppose program A calculates a value and writes it to a file and program B reads the value from the file and uses it. Is is not useful for program A to be able to communicate to program B that it got a NaN? This would suggest we need a write syntax and a read syntax for NaNs. (Whether this syntax should specify and preserve the bit patterns is another argument.)

Well, it seems logical to generalize "+nan.0" to "+nan.NNNNN".
Whether NNNNN should be decimal or hex (or octal) is less obvious.
Hex seems more useful and natural, assuming it doesn't cause
lexing ambiguities.  I.e. is "+nan.FF" unambiguous?
--
	--Per Bothner