Re: meta-comment on typing

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Michael Sperber wrote:
>> I personally have no objection to type declaration, but disagree that
>> the code becomes more readable.  In fact, I've seen plenty of evidence
>> that the exact opposite is the case, both in the C world (with type
>> declarations) and in the R5RS/CL world (without).
>
> Type declarations, especially of procedure parameters, is an essential
> part of the documentation and specification of a procedure.  As a
> compact, easily-understood, machine-checkable specifiction that as
> a side benefit (often) improves performance it seems a no-brainer.

I'm sorry, I worded that confusingly. You were suggesting two things:

1. adding type declarations---no objection in principle
2. removing the distinction between different kinds of operations
   ---makes the code less readable

--
Cheers =8-} Mike