Re: output streams vs output ports

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Michael Sperber wrote:

> >                                                Is there a good reason
> > for having both output streams & output ports?  Was the distinction
> > perhaps a vestigial one from SML's I/O system (which I haven't
> > investigated thoroughly)?
>
> That, and the desire to keep the streams and ports layers separate.

But what benefit is achieved by having two identical (ignoring naming)
layers for output, even if the separation from input streams & input
ports is useful?