Re: output streams vs output ports

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: Taylor Campbell <campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: output streams vs output ports
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:26:54 -0700 (PDT)

> But what benefit is achieved by having two identical (ignoring naming)
> layers for output, even if the separation from input streams & input
> ports is useful?

There could be an important difference between output streams and
output ports, w.r.t srfi-18 and srfi-21.  (BTW, this may be good to
be mentioned in this srfi as well).

Srfi-18 and srfi-21 require the conforming implementations to take
care of serializing simultaneous access to a port.  If we have
separate port/stream layers, the locking can be handled by the
port layer.  This frees up the stream layers from taking care
of expensive locking, which will be a performance gain for e.g.
translated streams.

--shiro