Re: when GC is permitted

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Or the horse I like to beat: for another SRFI, it always makes sense
> to say "I request that you implement this", because it can always be
> done, if at least by making the scheme fancier to accomodate the new
> functionality.  But SRFI 50 is a new thing: requesting implementation
> is in many important cases, a request that the scheme in question
> *dumb itself down*.

I have to agree with this sentiment.  And this is the major reason why
I'm uncomfortable with SRFI-50 as it exists now.  I feel that it locks
scheme implementations into certain decisions about how to implement
things, and thereby  constrains the advance of the implementations in
sophistication and robustness.

Consider a scheme system implementor five years from now who has a
SRFI-50 compliant scheme, and whose users are constantly having problems
with programs that use strings as random-access data structures.  S/he
can make their applications run an order of magnitude faster with fewer
headaches for them by implementing "ropes," but if s/he does so it will
mean the implementation can no longer support SRFI-50 and code in use
by an equally large population of users will break.  This leaves the
implementation between a rock and a hard place, as s/he cannot improve
the system to the needs of some users without sacrificing its utility
to other users.

This sort of tradeoff happens all the time on some levels, but I think
that when other choices that will work are available, we should probably
avoid any choices that make such a 'Hobsons Choice' inevitable.

So, my preferred form for an FFI would involve C and Scheme each keeping
their hands off the others' live data.  Especially don't let C functions
make any assumptions about the internal representation of scheme data or
the workings of the scheme Garbage Collector.

				Bear