Re: I don't believe in "(may GC)"

Thomas> Richard Kelsey <kelsey@xxxxxxx> writes:

>>    If I'm using some exotic number representation (constructive reals,
>>    perhaps), then EXTRACT_DOUBLE may very well involve some pretty hairy,
>>    hence possibly GC-causing, computation.
>>
>> This doesn't worry me too much; there aren't a lot of such
>> implementations around.

Let me rephrase: In what kind of environment would "hairy"
*necessarily* imply "GC-causing"?

(There used to be a version of Scheme 48 where the equivalent of
SCHEME_EXTRACT_LONG could cause a GC because it could do a callback.
This was an implementation convenience, not a necessity, and it's gone
now.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike