Re: character strings versus byte strings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: character strings versus byte strings
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:59:57 -0800 (PST)

> ultimately Scheme's CHAR? and STRING? types are doomed and that we're
> going to have to leave them underspecified and eventually unimportant
> (in favor of a new TEXT? type).

Eventually, I agree.

> Here here, cheers, and happy holidays.  Now, to what extent to we want
> the SRFI-50 process to become that battleground vs. to what extent do
> we want it to step lightly around the issue :-)

I don't think we can settle down Scheme character problem here.

From the common FFI perspective, however, there's a fact that we
already have bunch of external C libraries that expects utf-8 string,
and we want to call them.  So I think its reasonable to have
scheme-string-with-opaque-internal-rep <=> Utf8CString specified.

Also from the FFI perspective, a scheme character may not be important
after all.   We could have FFI that deals only with utf-8 strings,
and keep Scheme character issues inside Scheme world.

--shiro