Re: Reasons for withdrawal

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:02:27PM -0800, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> > SRFI-44 implementation they're using isn't using a more native feature
> > of the Scheme system, or that system otherwise.  Adding the collection
> > to whatever dispatch mechanism is being used is pretty trivial compared
> > to actually implementing the collection.
>
> And what about the library writer who wants to target more than one
> SRFI-44 implementation? That's a "must be solved once per SRFI-44
> implementation" problem. SRFI-44 as (under)specified requires a lot of
> porting to get code from one implementation to another, and it provides
> no guidance for how to do that.

I agree, but to specify it in this SRFI fundamentally limits the
implementation strategies.  Deciding hastily on a mechanism now does a
disservice to the tremendous amount of effort and thought that a generic
dispatch or OO SRFI deserves, and prevents this SRFI from gaining its
advantages.  I'm all for an SRFI-NN: Generic Collections Extension
that builds on 44 and that SRFI.

	Scott