Re: Reasons for withdrawal

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:25:01PM -0800, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> Bear wrote:
> >> The "implementation" provided with this SRFI adds no capabilities to
> >> any scheme system that drops it in and uses it ....
>
> scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > This is flat wrong.  It allows one to consistently interchange values
> > between the standard Scheme types ....
>
> Last I checked, R5RS already provides that. You have heard of
> vector->list et al, right?

Yes, but you cannot do it generically.  I cannot use collection->list to
convert any of the compound structures to lists, or use enumeration to
convert any compound structure to any other.

> Really? Lists and alists already use a common enumerator. It's called
> "map." If you really need to deal with vectors and strings too, it's
> trivial to roll your own enumerator. Your enumerator doesn't even
> provide the multiple-collection capabilities of map and SRFI-1 fold --
> it's actually less capable than existing facilities.

SRFI-1 fold applies only to lists.  But thanks for admiting that
enumeration over vectors and strings would be useful.

> Yes, that's very disappointing. That too damages the SRFI process in my
> opinion -- what's the point in publishing requirements if you're not
> going to follow them? Then again, maybe I misunderstood the editor's
> reply; much of it was difficult for me to follow.

Oh well, take it to srfi-discuss if you have further concerns.

	Scott