s/-LEFT//g?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

As an extension of my idea to change collection-fold-left to
collection-fold, how about removing all of the -lefts? Rationale:

1. It's the naming convention in SRFI-1.
2. The -left suffix doesn't make sense for "disordered" collections.
3. It's less to type.

Related to this, all of the "-right" methods should only be defined for
reversible collections. For example, get-right has the same problems as
collection-fold-right for an infinite sequence (e.g., circular lists,
fibonacci, etc.) Also, the -right methods don't seem to have any useful
semantics for non-reversible collections. For example, consider the
"grab-bag," which returns random values from the bag. For a container
like that, I would rather have "get-value" instead of "get-left." (A
reversible container would also have "get-value-right.")

don't make sense. I'd like to drop the "-left" from all method names and
to define the "-right" methods only for reversible collections.

I would also like to replace "*-foo-right" with something like
"*-reverse-foo" or "reverse-*-foo," but it wouldn't bother me too
terribly if you stuck with the -RIGHT convention! I mainly care about
dropping the -LEFTs.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd