Re: Compatibility with other SRFIs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 35 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 35 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Matthias> Here is one legit reason for catching such exceptions:

Matthias>  test suites.

Matthias> You want to make sure that your programming environment reacts
Matthias> properly to program bugs by students. They can make lots of mistake
Matthias> and I'd like to test the response mechanically.

I'm glad you're mentioning that.  But note that I specifically said
"running program."  (Note also that SRFI 34 is titled "Exception
Handling for *Programs*.")

Of course, there are reasons for catching this kind of exceptional
situation (and also stuff like divide-by-zero, type error, arity error
and so on) in other contexts, such as test suites, or entering the
debugger during program development.

However, after all the extensive discussions of the past I've sifted
through (specifically, the discussion archive of SRFI 12 is very
instructive), I've come to the conclusion that, for the kind of
exception catching you're referring to, a rather different
exception-handling system is called for.  And that, in turn, is a
subject for a different set of SRFIs.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike