Re: english names for symbolic SREs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 115 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 115 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM, Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 01:13:31PM -0800, Michael Montague wrote:
> Briefly looking through the first 16 or so implementations listed on
> http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/SchemeImplementationReleases, it
> appeared to me that only Chicken and Chibi provide SRE regular
> expressions.

What about the original SCSH?  And there's an attempt at re-porting
SCSH to plain Scheme48, and a port of SCSH to Guile.  Finally,
Irregex and this SRFI's reference implementation are portable
implementations which work ~everywhere.

IrRegex is also used in the default Jazz and Mosh
installations at least, and likely other places I'm unaware of.

Since the SRE syntax is exposed to non-programmers (as
search patterns in editors, etc.), and could be stored in data
and config files (I know I have some of these) we should be
more reluctant to change it than the API names.  We can
still consider changing the SRE syntax, I just want a very
good reason, and I haven't seen any.

IMHO * and + are very common patterns which deserve a
short name, even if it takes new users slightly longer to learn
them.

In your proposal you introduce "lazy" without defining it -
I'm guessing you mean what is already called "non-greedy".

--
Alex