Re: Different dialects under the same root

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Derick Eddington wrote:
> With the previous revision which didn't support different file name
> extensions for different dialects, different dialects could not share
> the search paths environment variable because different dialects would
> be using the same extension and so a file for one dialect could
> unavoidably shadow a file for another dialect.  With different
> extensions, that problem doesn't exist and different dialects can
> share the environment variable.

OK, now I think I got it. Different extensions for implementations are
introduced not to be able to put different implementation-specific
libraries into the exact same folder (which was my objection), but to
resolve shadowing which may occur when SCHEME_LIB_PATH lists several paths.