Re: different procedures for different functions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 98 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 98 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:24:22 -0300
 | From: Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva <asandroq@xxxxxxxxx>
 |
 | Hallo,
 |
 | Neil Van Dyke wrote:
 | >
 | > Or, as long as we're saying "posix", we can just use the Posix names
 | > (I'm not sure all these are strictly Posix):
 | >
 | >    posix-getenv
 | >    posix-environ
 | >    posix-putenv
 | >    posix-setenv
 | >    posix-unsetenv

putenv() does the same thing as setenv() except that it takes a single
string argument where the name and value are separated by "=", not a
Schemely protocol.

 |       getenv is ANSI C, besides, Windows has putenv. I guess that using
 | this POSIX naming scheme will confuse people running a non-POSIX system.

environ is a variable, not a function.  This means that the only
practical semantics is that environ is shared among threads.  Having
environ be a procedure would allow each thread to have a separate
environment.