Re: reading NaNs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> I, for one, am not confident that IEEE arithmetic is perfect.  I am
> very confident that the experts who designed that standard will
> someday need a new one.

The IEEE 754-1985 standard is already "overdue for revision," according
to the working group (http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/754/revision.html).
There's a revision in progress, "since 2000, with a target completion
date of December 2005" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754r).
However, it looks like there may be problems with the revision.

I would hope that anyone reviewing IEEE-754 features for Scheme is
already familiar with the revision and its current status. It'd be silly
to adopt a 20-year-old standard just a few months before a major
revision. Then again, it might be silly to wait on the new draft, given
its troubles. Either way, arguments should at least take it into
account.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd