Re: Here strings?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:55:24 -0400
 | From: "John.Cowan" <jcowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 |
 | Aubrey Jaffer scripsit:
 |
 | > SRFI-75 is the first time I have encountered "Here strings".
 | > How do they differ from literal string constants?
 |
 | The opening quote is "<<", followed by a sequence of non-newlines (called
 | the *key*), followed by a newline.  The closing quote is a newline,
 | followed by the same key, followed by a newline.  No character between
 | these quotes has special meaning.

Can a Here-string be used anywhere a literal string constant can be
used?

Can a literal string constant be used anywhere a Here-string can be
used?

With the escaping conventions being discussed, will Here-strings and
literal string constants be able to code the same set of possible
strings?

When a string is the argument to the WRITE procedure, is a
double-quoted or Here-string written?