Re: forcing delimiters after escapes in quoted strings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 75 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 75 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Ray Blaak wrote:

>So, will we be able to have strings like "\x41bc" be interpreted as
>"abc" or will it become an error?
>
>Forcing it to be "\x41 bc" will become unbearably tedious and confusing
>to readers also used to programming in other languages.
>
>It will become a large source of errors for string literals
>transliterated from other other language environments.

I think that the inlined hexadecimal notation requires a terminator.
I believe that space is probably not the appropriate terminator.
So, if for example  a colon is adopted as a terminator,

"\x41:bc" is "abc"
"\x41bc" is the one character string consisting of the unicode
	 character at U+41BC, which I can't immdiately identify.

				Bear