Re: propositions, oppositions, and some minor details

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 57 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 57 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Felix Winkelmann wrote:

>Andre van Tonder wrote:
>>
>> Good question.  Hard to answer, though, without a specification of what
>> spearate compilation is... :)
>>

>IMHO separate compilation means compiling two files with two different
>instances of a compiler, i.e. there's no direct communication between
>the separate compiler runs, as opposed to compiling several separate
>source files in the same compiler-instance (for example by compiling
>stuff into an "image").

I'll even go further: I'd say it should be possible to compile each
file in the absence of all the other files, producing a linkable binary
form that can then be put together into an executable by a more-or-less
standard linker.

There are a lot of schemes that tout "separate compilation" where the
user still has to spend a lot of effort keeping track of file dependencies
and it's not even possible to compile a file without having the files
it's dependent on present.

				Bear