Re: Can array-ref return (values ...) ?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 25 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 25 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Brad Lucier writes:

> I'm trying to put together an implementation of arrays that will
> serve my current purposes.  At one point, I basically wanted
>
> (array-ref a i j k ...)
>
> to return (values ...).
>
> So I looked at this SRFI and it doesn't seem that this is a real
> problem (OK, it would be a problem with array-set!, but perhaps one
> wants read-only arrays without array-set! to be possible.)

I don't understand. Array-ref by me returns the contents of a single
element, so that would be just (values v) which is just v.

If you want something that accesses several elements at one time - is
that a one-dimensional array above? - that would just be another
operation. No problem.

> How pervasively does one want multiple values to insinuate itself
> into the rest of the language?

I wouldn't avoid them when they are appropriate.

One consideration is what you can do with the values. They must be
passed to a procedure, and that either knows their number or turns
them into a list. In the latter case, it might be better to return a
list or an array in the first place.
--
Jussi