RE: CHAR-{UP,DOWN}CASE & super-ASCII encodings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> I think the sleazes I specify for patching CHAR-{UP,DOWN}CASE are
acceptable,

I agree.  I meant, after subsuming all of your sleazen.

> Heh? What about Latin-1's es-szet? Decomposing turns it into "ss" for
sure?
> Or leaves it as es-szet?

As I read the specification, sharp-s does not mechanically decompose
into ss.  I was conflating the recent German spelling reform with
decomposition.  My mistake.

> What is done with downcasing Unicode's position-sensitive Greek
letters?

Lowercase sigma is the only such Greek letter.  Follow the official
Unicode data-table, which dictates that U+3A3 maps to U+3C3, i.e.,
non-final sigma.  That is correct at the character level, though not at
the string or text-block level.  Initial/medial-sigma and final-sigma
are the same letter, just written differently.  (This should be a
shaping issue, like writing Arabic, not a discrete character value.  But
it isn't.)