CHAR-{UP,DOWN}CASE & super-ASCII encodings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

   From: goetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   CHAR-{UP,DOWN}CASE can work correctly as-is in Unicode as long as the
   program is working with decomposed character input - the most common
   case.

Heh? What about Latin-1's es-szet? Decomposing turns it into "ss" for sure?
Or leaves it as es-szet?

What is done with downcasing Unicode's position-sensitive Greek letters?

I think the sleazes I specify for patching CHAR-{UP,DOWN}CASE are acceptable,
but they are sleazes nontheless:
    - CHAR-UPCASE maps es-szet to es-szet.
    - Position-sensitive Greek letters get mapped to the general, non-final
      variant.
(And since these two procs are *not* part of SRFI-13, it's a side issue,
though one worth discussing.)
    -Olin