Re: timer-start! and timer-schedule!

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 120 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 120 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> If so, when a task is scheduled by timer-schedule! given a positive
> integer as parameter 'when', Is the elasped milliseconds to start
> the task is measured from the timing at when timer-schedule! called,
> or at when timer-start! called?
It should be when `timer-schedule!` is called. If the task's due is
already passed, then it should be executed immediately after
`timer-start!` is called. (at least, reference implementation is
implemented like that.) But not sure, if this behaviour is ideal or
not.

> In other words I wonder why timer-start! is necessary at all.
> For example, java.util.Timer
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/Timer.html
> has no corresponding method to timer-start!, because it is in action
> immediately after constructed.
Good point. The purpose of `timer-start!` is more for consistency. There
is `timer-stop!` procedure so I thought it might be better to have start
procedure as well. IHO, it's better to let users have more control. I
would like to hear other opinions?

--
_/_/
Takashi Kato