timer-start! and timer-schedule!

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 120 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 120 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Hi,

As far as I understand the specification, a program can call
timer-start! before timer-schedule! against the same timer object,
and vice versa. Is it right?

If so, when a task is scheduled by timer-schedule! given a positive
integer as parameter 'when', Is the elasped milliseconds to start
the task is measured from the timing at when timer-schedule! called,
or at when timer-start! called?

In other words I wonder why timer-start! is necessary at all.
For example, java.util.Timer
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/Timer.html
has no corresponding method to timer-start!, because it is in action
immediately after constructed.

Cheers,
-- Takeshi Abe