Re: SRFI 105: Curly-infix-expressions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 105 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 105 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SRFI 105: Curly-infix-expressions
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:39:07 -0400 (EDT)

> * I wrote "sweeten", a program that translates traditional s-expressions into the sweet-expression notation (this notation includes curly-infix as a subset).  The key point is that this program is heavy on list processing and text output.  To see a copy, get the file "src/sweeten.sscm" in http://sourceforge.net/projects/readable/files/
> * Alan Manuel Gloria wrote letterfall, a GUI typing practice game.  Code is here: https://github.com/AmkG/letterfall

I see those files use full features of 'readable' project.
Have you ever tried using _only_ the curly-infix subset?

I implemented curly-infix notation in Gauche and stated to give
it a try.  And I can't help feeling c-exprs and s-exprs don't mix well.
To be honest, it's terrible.

I started itemizing why they don't mix, but before writing up
a lenghthy email, I'd better check with you if I'm not doing it wrong.

Here I pasted some code: https://gist.github.com/3502491
I took exiting code that used some math (and I remember I wished
to have had infix notation when I wrote them) and converted to C-exprs.

If this is not the style you intended C-exprs to be used,
let me know.

From your code, c-exprs seems to work well when combined with
n-exprs and t-exprs.  Unless you have a strong reason that
c-exprs alone is useful (rather than that it is technically
orthogonal), I now think it may be better to bundle them together.