Re: why have any restrictions?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 84 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 84 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

If I was a mathematician or a computer scientist, or even very
logically minded, I imagine it would be pretty easy to come up with a
proof that, given some small set of minimal restrictions, there would
still be no possibility of conflicts.
I don't think there is any need for such efforts. If conflicts happen then someone needs to change a name, it's as simple as that.

As long as the system is reasonable (e.g. basing it on domain names) then in practice the change of conflicts is small, and simplicity wins out.