Re: arithmetic issues

William D Clinger wrote:
When I say that requiring only the fixnum/flonum foundation is
an attractive option for R6RS, second only to requiring the
full tower, I certainly do not mean to imply that systems
would be forbidden to support numbers that are neither fixnum
nor flonum.  In particular, I do not mean to suggest dropping
the part of R5RS section 6.2.3 I quoted above.

I would say that R6RS has to provide arithmetic on exact integers that are large enough to serve as indexes and lengths. So, either R6RS must require that fixnums are large enough or it must provide routines to perform arithmetic on integers that might be larger than fixnums.

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson