Re: Exactness

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> So we need a way to query those questions.
>
> Querying is too late: when program needs a particular characteristic,
> it doesn't help it that it could detect that the implementation
> doesn't meet its expectations.

Oh, so you want to demand that all Scheme systems must implement
whatever feature you need for that program?  How does that go?

>> Scheme doesn't have "flonums" and that's a good and rational design
>> choice.
>
> I disagree. There are programs which require flonums or something
> which behave similarly. All Scheme implementations I know and all
> other general-purpose languages I know provide flonums.

No, Scheme does not provide "flonums".  Some Scheme systems provide an
implementation of inexact reals which is similar to the Lisp notion of
a flonum.  But that's not the same thing.

> Consider the example at the end of R5RS run on a typical Scheme
> implementation with floats and ratios, augmented with displaying all
> elements of the lazy list it produces. It runs fine. But when we
> replace the two inexact numbers in the initial state with exact ones
> of the same values, fractions become bigger and bigger, even though
> the growing precision it accumulates is useless: the algorithm is
> inexact to begin with!

But this is not a feature of exactness; it's a feature of the
particular strategy chosen to implement exactness.  (Which does not
mean that I can imagine a different strategy!)  So if you want to
guarantee that the operation remain in constant size, and you
recognize that mathematical division is not such an operation, you
want a different operation: "constant size division".  Constant size
division preferences maintaining the implementation size of the
result to mathematical correctness.

> I want portable flonums.

Do you care whether they are called "portable flonums"?  Can we call
them something else and you will be happy?

I am suggesting that if what you care about is constant-size
operations, that we provide mathematical operations that have that
guarantee.

Thomas