Re: Efficiency of generic programming

Andre van Tonder <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have a concern with the efficiency of the current interface for reflection.
> Some simple, and rather important or canonical, generic operations will be
> rather less efficient than they could be.

I think it's commonly accepted among the authors that the reflection
interface isn't particularly complete.

Specifically, it is really meant for structurally reflective
operations, such as interpreters and introspection, rather than the
efficient implementation of anything.

> - Polymorphic copying and update will be slow:

In particular, polymorphic copying and update really fall outside its
purview---they wouldn't work on opaque record types, anyway.  Maybe
you can elaborate why and where you want these?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike