Drop ref/default, update!/default

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 69 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 69 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I suggest dropping hash-table-ref/default and hash-table-update!/default. These gain little in convenience, and don't serve any aim of the SRFI so far as I can tell.

Also note that the current specification is not correct:

   Procedure: hash-table-ref/default hash-table key default -> value

   Equivalent to (hash-table-ref hash-table key (lambda () default)).

Consider default = ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))). The program (hash-table-ref ht k (lambda () default)) diverges only when the key k is not found. The program (hash-table-ref/default ht k default) always diverges.

David