Re: finalize or withdraw?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

[I removed srfi-56 from the follow-up, since it's more
related to srfi-68.]

Michael Sperber wrote:
> Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>Let me emphasize again: It is essential that open-output-file
>>create a file using the same encoding that the rest of my
>>environment expects.  I should be able to open the file
>>using my default editor.  If I cat/type/view the file, my
>>terminal should display the correct glyphs, and not be garbled.
>
> I don't think that's possible in general;

Why not?  It's certainly what I (and I think most people)
would expect.

> it sure doesn't work on my Windows box.

Then I'd say you have a broken Windows box or a broken Scheme
implementation.

> I also don't consider this essential.

What happens if on your German-located Windows box you write a file
using notepad (assuming I haven't mixed up Windows editors: I mean a
native plain-text editor) and using German letters.  (I don't know if
Windows XP now uses UTF-8; if so, dig out an old pre-Unicode Windows
95 box.)  If you "type" this file, I would expect all the letters to
show up in the console window, assuming you're still using the same
German-localized Windows box.

If I were taking a Scheme class, I certainly hope I can read this
file, using open-input-file, and without having to specify any
special flags or options.
--
	--Per Bothner