Re: finishing output translating stream

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: Michael Sperber <sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: finishing output translating stream
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:15:57 +0200

> Presently, no.  I understand your motivation for wanting to know when
> it's closed (many thanks for the elaborate explanation!)---could you
> elaborate on why it's also important on flush?  (After all, the
> underlying stream may also flush at just about any time.)

Actually I'm not sure about flushing.  I thought of the case
such that I'm sending a string packet over a pipe or socket, and
want to make sure I send entire string, without worrying that the
last few characters might be sitting in the character conversion
buffer.

But I might be able to achieve it by creating and closing a
stream each time I want a complete "packet".  Though it
seems to me lots of overhead, it may be doable.

> As for closing---do you have any suggestion on API?  I guess the
> easiest thing would be to also provide a "close" procedure along with
> the "translate" procedure.

Or passing special value (e.g. #f) as "bytes"?

--shiro