Re: output stream API

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Sebastian Egner <sebastian.egner@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> In effect, functional output would be just a way creating data
> structures storing the result of converting something to bytes. (In
> Ocaml, the 'Buffer' module, aka extensible string buffers, is such a
> thing---but of course it's state-based.)

Maybe, but that's not what output streams are in this SRFI.

> Other question: If output streams are imperative, what's the difference
> with output ports?

That you can change the output stream an output port refers to.

> I am referring to the READ/WRITE/DISPLAY naming and meaning here.

But this SRFI consistently uses only one name for "writing," per layer
namely WRITE-BYTES!, OUTPUT, and DISPLAY.  As you point out, different
kind of classifications are possible, which is one reason for choosing
a uniform naming per layer.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike