Re: #\a octothorpe syntax vs SRFI 10

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 58 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 58 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

bear wrote:
> I wanted an extremely terse syntax using the square brackets. It
> turned out that nobody else wanted it, based on aesthetic objections.

I too would like a terse vector/array syntax using square brackets. It's
a very common notation for vectors and matrices, so it's a natural
candidate for a Scheme external representation. However, too many Scheme
implementations already use brackets as a synonym for parentheses.
Bracket notation for vectors could've been a great language extension,
but I suspect that it's too late for that now.

Also, brackets have one major shortcoming (which the current SRFI 58
proposal shares): Since dimensions are inferred from the bracket
contents, there's no way to represent arrays with a 0 dimension. For
example, you can use SRFI 47 functions to create a 0x2x3 array:
(MAKE-ARRAY '#() 0 2 3). However, there's no "natural" external
representation for this array using brackets. Currently, SRFI 58 suffers
from the same problem: Its syntax specifies rank explicitly but infers
shape from the list decomposition. What should the Scheme writer use to
represent that array? Is it an error?

> You wanted an extremely verbose syntax using srfi-10. It turned out
> that nobody else wanted it, based on aesthetic objections.

I think #,(ARRAY ...) syntax is appropriate for some arrays. It would
permit a good, general notation for arbitrary arrays, based on the
MAKE-ARRAY function of SRFI 47.

For example (using the common "brackets = parens" syntax for clarity):

    #,(ARRAY #() (2 2) [[a b] [c d]])    ; 2x2 heterogeneous array
    #,(ARRAY (AS32) (2 2) [[1 2] [3 4]]) ; 2x2 array of 32-bit fixnums
    #,(ARRAY #() (0 2 3))                ; zero-dimension array

This allows the reader to use any SRFI 47 "prototype" function to
specify array types. Thus, if a Scheme implementation adds new array
types, they can simply add a new prototype generator. For example, an
implementation can extend both MAKE-ARRAY and the reader syntax to
support 36-bit integers simply by defining new "AS36" and "AU36"
prototype functions.

    (MAKE-ARRAY (AS36 0) 1 2) => #,(ARRAY (AS36) (1 2) [[0 0]])

I don't think this is appropriate for hand-written, heterogeneous
arrays, however. For those, I prefer something much terser. The proposed
syntax is almost good enough; however, I would rather it specify the
array /dimensions/ rather than rank. That's more consistent with
existing extensions, like PLT's #n(...) syntax for vectors.

Specifying the dimensions also permits a convenient shorthand for
repetitive arrays: If there aren't enough elements for a dimension,
simply repeat the last element. For example, #100(1) is shorthand for
#(1 1 1 1 ... 1) in MzScheme, and #100() is shorthand for #(0 0 ... 0).
A similar array syntax could use the analogous #A100x100() to get a very
large zero matrix.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd